We use Laverty Pathology, QML, Australian Clinical Laboratories and Nutripath for functional and pathology testing. Have you been told your blood tests are normal and wonder why you are still feeling unwell? Functional testing may help you identify underlying contributors to imbalance. This helps to target your holistic treatment and get on track to a better quality of life.
*Please note testing is only available within Australia at this time (international telehealth patients are advised to seek testing with their medical doctor and forward results prior to your appointment, reports must be in English
Why do Functional testing?
Functional testing refers to laboratory tests that seek to identify the underlying cause of imbalance and assess the function of various body systems and tissues.
We may order functional tests depending on your signs and symptoms to target your holistic treatment.
People often experience symptoms well before conventional test results appear outside of the normal reference ranges. Functional testing when combined with a thorough case history can help tailor your treatment.
Referral for functional testing requires a consultation and case history health assessment. Your practitioner will assess your diet and lifestyle, body signs and symptoms and any other relevant factors to determine which tests best suit your needs. Requests for tests will be requested with consideration to your budget and are not rebated via medicare. Your naturopath will write a referral letter to collaborate with your general medical practitioner and out of pocket expense will be minimised where possible.
Functional testing for Gut health:
- Coeliac disease screen
- Complete microbiome mapping test – this is a stool test to identify gastrointestinal infections such as bacteria, viruses, fungus, worms, yeast and parasites that cause inflammation, this test also includes markers for intestinal hyperpermeability (leaky gut), dysbiosis (bacterial overgrowth), as well as inflammatory bowel disease. Please wait 4 weeks after doing antimicrobial treatment or antibiotics prior to sample collection. Please avoid probiotics at least 1-2 weeks prior to sample collection.
- Helicobacter pylori breath test
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO) testing
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Nutrient status profile eg. zinc, selenium, vitamin D, folate, B12, iron
Functional testing for hormone health:
- Salivary cortisol testing (assesses for adrenal fatigue)
- Salivary hormone profile (assesses types of oestrogen and ratio between oestrogen and progesterone, screens for PCOS, oestrogen dominance, luteal phase defect affecting PMS/PMDD)
- Full thyroid profile including TSH, FT3, FT4, RT3, thyroid antibodies for hashimoto’s and graves disease
Functional testing for metabolic health:
- Liver function
- Lipid studies (cholesterol)
- Full thyroid screen
- Blood sugar (HbA1c, insulin)
Functional testing for mental health (stress, depression, anxiety)
- blood testing for nutrient cofactors to make neurotransmitters such as serotonin
- MTHFR and COMT genetic polymorphisms (may affect the way you metabolise neurotransmitters and hormones)
- coeliac disease screen (can cause neuroinflammation and nutrient deficiency affecting mental health)
- Complete microbiome GI map testing – stool test to identify gastrointestinal infections such as bacteria, viruses, fungus, worms, yeast and parasites that cause inflammation, this test also includes markers for intestinal hyperpermeability (leaky gut), dysbiosis (bacterial overgrowth), as well as inflammatory bowel disease.
- Full thyroid profile including TSH, FT3, FT4, thyroid antibodies, RT3
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Heavy metals
- Pharmacogenomics (provide a report for your medical team listing the most appropriate medications for you based on your individual genetics, this enables your doctor to tailor your medications to avoid increased risk of side effects)
- May include other testing depending on your personal presentation
Nutripath Sample reports & Brochures
*Fees are correct as of February 2019 and exclude consult fees
*Extensive Thyroid Profile (Blood test) $228
*Complete Microbiome Mapping (Stool test) $380
*Allergy Panels – 96 Foods IgG Food Intolerance (Blood Test) $113
*Female Hormone Profile (Saliva test) $146
*Adrenocortex Stress Profile (Saliva test) $115
*Hair mineral and metal analysis $140
4-Pillar Gut Profile $860
Includes complete microbiome mapping test, SIBO test, leaky gut test and food intolerance test!