We use Laverty Pathology and Nutripath for functional and pathology testing. Have you been told your blood tests are normal and wonder why you are still feeling unwell? Functional testing may help you identify underlying contributors to imbalance. This helps to target your holistic treatment and get on track to a better quality of life.
Functional testing for mental health
- blood testing for nutrient cofactors to make neurotransmitters such as serotonin
- MTHFR, COMT, MAO genetic polymorphisms (may affect the way you metabolise neurotransmitters and hormones)
- coeliac disease screen (can cause neuroinflammation and nutrient deficiency affecting mental health)
- GI map testing (stool test to identify gut pathogens (bacteria, viruses and parasites) that cause neuroinflammation)
- Full thyroid profile including TSH, FT3, FT4, thyroid antibodies, RT3
- Food allergies and intolerances (in clinic testing available – only 40 minutes to see your results)
- Heavy metals
- May include other testing depending on your personal presentation
Functional testing for Gut health:
- Coeliac disease screen
- GI map testing (assesses your gut health, bacterial overgrowth, viruses, parasites)
- Leaky gut
- Helicobacter pylori breath test
- SIBO testing
- Food allergies and intolerances
- Nutrient status profile eg. zinc, selenium, vitamin D, folate, B12, iron
Functional testing for hormone health:
- Salivary cortisol testing (assesses for adrenal fatigue)
- Salivary hormone profile (assesses types of oestrogen and ratio between oestrogen and progesterone, screens for PCOS, oestrogen dominance, luteal phase defect affecting PMS/PMDD)
- Full thyroid profile including TSH, FT3, FT4, RT3, thyroid antibodies for hashimoto’s and graves disease
Functional testing for metabolic health:
- Liver function
- Lipid studies (cholesterol)
- Full thyroid screen
- Blood sugar (HbA1c, insulin)
Why do Functional testing?
Functional testing refers to laboratory tests that seek to identify the underlying cause of imbalance and assess the function of various body systems and tissues.
We may order functional tests depending on your signs and symptoms to target your holistic treatment.
People often experience symptoms well before conventional test results appear outside of the normal reference ranges. Functional testing when combined with a thorough case history can help tailor your treatment.
Referral for functional testing requires a consultation and case history health assessment. Your practitioner will assess your diet and lifestyle, body signs and symptoms and any other relevant factors to determine which tests best suit your needs. Requests for tests will be requested with consideration to your budget and are not rebated via medicare. Your naturopath will write a referral letter to collaborate with your general medical practitioner and out of pocket expense will be minimised where possible.